Manciano is located on a hill between the sea and the mountains, guarding the Maremma. The location allows for a privileged view of the Maremma with a view stretching to the sea of Amiata, which is what gave it such strategic importance throughout history. At the highest point of the village stands the castle, around which the town center has grown like a labyrinth in the intriguing shape of a fan. The village is a maze of up and downhill streets which all lead to the Piazza Magenta: the panoramic views of the Piazza, the Castle and the newly renovated and interactive Museum of Prehistory and Early History will make this visit one to remember.

Manciano is home to two famous artists: Pietro Aldi and Paride Pascucci, the painters who symbolize the culutre of the Maremma. Some important works of these two artists are visible inside the castle, the Church of San Leonardo and the SS.Annunziata.

 


i

Note Storiche

.

The first records of the village date back to 1181; in the dated document “Privilege of Pope Clement III” Manciano is defined as “castrum”; this implies that by that time, the city already had a fortification. In this period the town, like others in the region, was under the rule of the Aldobrandeschi family of Lombard origins, who took control of the Maremma from Amiata to Giglio for much of the Middle Ages.

However this land between Tuscany, Lazio and Umbria was always the scene of wars and battles: in 1303 the town was conquered by the city of Orvieto and from 1328 was under the rule of the Baschi family and then the Orsini Counts until 1416 when the Republic of Siena occupied it and remained in power for more than a century. The Sienese left important traces in the city center, still traceable in its urban character. In 1559 Manciano, like all other possessions of Siena, passed to the Medici; the period during their occupation was one of decay and neglect of public property.

When the Florentine family fell in 1738 Manciano followed the fate of the Grand Duchy, passing to the Lorena government, and was thereafter chosen as the capital of a vast territory including Montemerano, Saturnia and Capalbio, becoming the largest municipality in the province. The clock tower contains a plaque commemorating the plebiscite by which the entire region of Tuscany choose to be part of the Savoy constitutional monarchy on 15 March, 1860.

Between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the forests and scrubs around the hilly region became the refuge of bandits from around the Maremma, including the infamous Domenico Tiburzi.

Later on, the region would see more unrest and uprisings through land occupation. In 1904 laborers occupied Prince Corsini’s lands, forming the ‘Lega di Miglioramento fra Campagnoli’ (Farmers Improvement League). These movements, along with others, continue until the reform of the Maremma, which irreversibly altered both society and the surrounding landscape.

The woods that were once a refuge for bandits provided cover for partisan bands linked to the National Liberation Committee during the Second World War. Manciano was the first town liberated by the Allies in Tuscany in June 1944, and on February 25, 1945 it was the first city in Italy which the free elections were held after the Fascist period.

.