This property is privately owned.
Cited in the 1216 division of Aldobrandesca County, the castle maintained a small urban area until the beginning of 1416 when it was destroyed by the Sienese, who left only the castle keep standing. Briefly occupied in 1489 by a group of Corsican pirates, it was immediately retaken by Siena. Once incorporated in the territory of Marsiliana, Montauto fell under Medici control after the fall of Siena in 1557. Though now an impressive ruin, the structure has managed to maintain much of its original form. In the rectangular building at the heart of the fortress, there are still traces of lowered windows on the first floor. The castle is currently owned privately and the area is a popular spot for hunting wild boar (in season).