Castello del Pelagone

This property is privately owned.

Records of this castle date to 1216, when it was cited in the ordinance to divide the county of Aldobrandesca. It was later absorbed into the landholdings of the Orsini of Pitigliano and by 1430 the castle was already destroyed and deserted. The large and impressive ruins are located in a virtually inaccessible location near the prehistoric village of Scarceta, and the impact of this former castle on the landscape is striking.